Working with IWK
Located in Halifax, Nova Scotia, the IWK Health Centre is the sole paediatric hospital and teaching centre in the Maritimes providing high quality care to women, children, youth and families for more than a century. In addition to providing highly specialized (tertiary) care, the IWK also provides primary care services. The IWK is also engaged in leading-edge research; works to promote healthy lifestyles for families; and supports education opportunities for health professionals and other learners. More about working at the IWK can be found HERE or additional details on employee benefits HERE.
Five More Reasons to Join MHA at the IWK
- The culture of the IWK Health Centre is very closely aligned to its vision, people and processes. We are a Teaching and Research Health Centre, and in addition to tertiary (highly-specialized) care, the IWK also provides primary care services. The IWK is engaged in leading-edge research, the promotion of healthy families and the education of health professionals and other learners. In doing this work, IWK staff, physicians and volunteers are highly engaged in efforts to achieve our vision of ‘Healthy families. The best care.’
- Previous winner of “Top 50 Most Admired Corporate Cultures”.
- Our Mental Health & Addictions program offers the largest forensic program in Canada, and the MH&A program is the first Canadian child and youth mental health program to adopt the Choice and Partnership Approach (CAPA) to care. CAPA is a best-practice clinical system whereby the patients and their families are actively involved in their own treatment plan. The success of the program has led to a rollout in regions across Nova Scotia.
- The IWK follows the practice of patient and family-centered care. As a part of this approach, the IWK has implemented a Family Leadership Council, which is a partnership of patients, family members, administration, staff and physicians from across the IWK. Family Advisors influence and help shape decisions about hospital policies, programs and facility design.
- Half of our staff have more than 10 years of tenure.